Monday, November 06, 2006

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, Princess

So I espouse outlet shopping and bargain-buying, but do I practice what I preach? Indeed I do.

Case in point: For my 31st (ugh!) birthday in September, I wanted a fabulous designer dress to wear to a symphony event I was attending. Prior to moving to Miami, I had never been a dress girl. Who wears dresses in NYC? Nobody-- it's jeans, jeans and more jeans. So where to go at the last-minute and on a budget? Why, Neiman Marcus Last Call of course. I'd already been there previously and made some fab purchases, see Dishalicious: Paradise Found, so I knew it was likely to have just what the doctor ordered.

And it did not disappoint. I ended up with a to-die-for Tuleh NY Mag Tuleh Bio dress that retailed for about $1,500. Neiman's price? Just under $300. Score. I paired it with my favorite hand-me-down baubles from Roxy--jade earrings and a matching jade bracelet--my every day diamond necklaces and my paternal grandmother's diamond-and-emerald brooch in the décolletage. I also threw on some sheer, black Spanx leggings for the trendiness factor (it is South Beach after all) and black, satin, strappy Yves St. Laurent sandals. (Also note that the Spanx were purchased at Neiman's Last Call as well and the YSL sandals at the YSL outlet in Woodbury Commons a couple of years ago).

So people, we are talking about an outfit (sans jewelry) valued at $1,950, purchased for approximately $450. Priceless.

After a quickie Google/NY Mag search today, I discovered that the dress was from the Tuleh Fall 2005 collection. So, it's a year old and a size too big, but it's fairly classic and I will wear it for years to come. And having it altered is on my to-do list.

Here's the picture of the model wearing it on the runway:




And below is how I did it. I added a sheer bodysuit underneath, as it's completely see-through. And now that I'm looking, it seems like the model paired it with sheer leggings too!

No comments: