Wednesday, November 15, 2006

My favorite things

Obviously, I am one terrible photographer.
But you know how despite a closet (or several closets) full of clothes, you tend to wear the same favorite pieces over and over? The same goes for jewelry. In fact, I'll let you in on an insane little secret: One of the reasons I joined all these charity boards/organizations down here was so that I would have excuses to wear a lot of the fancy clothes and jewelry I never get the chance to wear. I know, I am truly, truly sick. Anywho, here are some of my favorite and most-worn pieces of jewelry.





These jade-and-diamond earrings and bracelet were Roxy's. They are some of my favorite hand-me-downs, and even the blind date guy, who happened to work for Graff Diamonds, approved. The heart pendant was a cast-off from mom, and when she gave it to me it was yellow gold. It is embedded with diamonds, rubies, emeralds and saphhires, and I decided it would be much chicer in white gold. Lynn has the same pendant and when I visited her in PB a couple of weeks ago, she couldn't believe how great it looked in white and said she was going to do the same thing. Now, I'm sure mom will want it back.

Anyway, for those of you jewelry newbies, did you know that any item of gold you have can be turned from yellow to white and vice-versa by the simple use of rhodium? Any jeweler will do it for you; I do it at Landsberg all the time. Just ask them to "dip it" in rhodium. So, since the popularity of yellow vs. white gold tends to fluctuate along with fashion trends, don't buy new jewels, just dip your old ones!





This was originally a brooch of my paternal grandmother Lillian (nanny). Last time I was in New York, I had Landsberg turn it into a pendant, and with its diamonds and emeralds, it goes very well with the above jade set.

No comments: