Saturday, March 24, 2007

Diamonds and Djimon

Ladies, I have four words for you: Rent Blood Diamond, now. It is not only one of the most powerful and passionate films I have seen in recent years, but it will also cause you to question the myriad ways in which you buy diamonds. From here on out, when you buy a rock, be it one carat or 30, you must insist (and you will after seeing this movie) to see papers ensuring that it is from a Conflict-Free Zone.

I am seriously thinking of trying to trace the diamonds I currently have to see where they came from.

This movie is simply awesome and disturbing and heartwarming and makes you think about real issues, which all great movies should do. I have been a longtime fan of Djimon Hounsou
ever since watching Spielberg's woefully underrated and ignored Amistad (also a MUST SEE), but his performance is simply staggering in this movie. And though I adored Alan Arkin's Little Miss Sunshine performance, Djimon was robbed of the Academy Award for Blood Diamond.

He may even be my new Michael Jordan.



No comments: