Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Looking the Part

I have many philosophies, most of them silly. One of them relates to careers and success, and is quite simple: look the part.

Fashion editors should be fashion plates. Beauty editors should be pretty, well-groomed or at the very least have fabulous skin.

I once lost a job because of this philosophy. Often, job interviews are about concealing your true self and spouting the company line. Well, I interviewed for an editor position at this shopping magazine called Shop Etc. Naturally, I dressed to the nines to meet with the editor in chief. Me: Calvin Klein silk skirt and top, Wolford tights, Chanel pumps, fab jewelry. Mandi Norwood, editor-in-chief: Pleated gray trousers, beige turtleneck, no jewelry. Ugh. (OMG, even in the Hearst company bio she looks frumpy. Oy!) This is a fashion magazine? I wanted to scream. Look the part, Mandi. And then, when she asked me what my favorite store was, and I answered (you betcha) "Bergdorf's," she actually scoffed and said that the magazine would be a little more downmarket. Well, then, I guess she did look the part.

I think this is why Vogue is my book of choice among the glossies. All of its editors, each and every one (with the exception of Alexandra Kotur, whose mommy is someone famous), is chic, pretty and sophisticated. They practice what they preach. I worship at the altar of Vogue and always have.

The other rags? Eh, not so much. Nina Garcia at Elle



is a trainwreck. That hair? Ugh. Go see Fekkai or Blandi, honey, please. She looks like she belongs down here in Miami. And don't even get me started on Glenda Bailey at Bazaar.




Ewwwwwwwwww. A picture speaks volumes (she's on the right).

No comments: