Monday, December 04, 2006

The Ghost of Grandmom's Past

Roxy, my deceased grandmother on mom's side, was gifted at one thing: shopping. She was an intriguing, striking woman in both wardrobe and wit, but she wasn't the nicest person in the world, so we remember her most fondly for the jewels and accessories she left behind. Sad, but true. I could analyze her to death, but the truth is that Roxy cared mostly about appearances, and, as a result, amassed a collection of clothing and jewelry that could rival any Park Avenue grande dame.

My mom and her sister inherited everything, and I've been the lucky recipient of many of mom's hand-me-downs. 75% of my jewelry is from Roxy's collection. And a few of my most prized accessories as well. Of the latter, I especially adore these snakeskin, vintage Judith Leiber belts, and I wear them frequently. I have never seen them either in stores or worn by anyone else.





Imagine my utter shock when I looked over at one of my parents' friends at the bat mitzvah party Saturday night and saw her sporting this Roxy belt.



Mom was unconvinced, so I had to confront the woman, introduce myself and tell her my Roxy anecdotes. I examined the belt with my eagle eyes and sure enough, it was the same. I was curious--where had she gotten the belt? How old was it? I needed to know, for Roxy was long gone, and these are grave issues people! She said she'd just pulled it out of her closet and that she'd bought it about 20 years ago. Mom and I have carbon dated it to more like 30 years, but whatever.

I also have a particular favorite item among my mother's Roxy haul. It's an exquisite, unique, Chopard cocktail watch that practically gives me orgasms every time I gaze upon it. It's on a black alligator strap, with yellow gold and white diamond pave hearts framing the diamond-shaped face, which is also yellow gold with rows of diamonds and the company's trademark floating diamonds inside. If I had to choose one item from Roxy's stash, this watch would be it.

So mom lets me wear it to black-tie events when we're together. I wore it to the party Saturday, and had my mom's friend photograph it to share with all three of you loyal fashionistas, but damnit if the stupid photos are nowhere to be found on the roll. (It most resembles this--click on the fourth from the right picture--beauty from Chopard's current Happy Diamonds collection.)

Sometimes I think Roxy haunts us. Perhaps it's because we scattered her ashes around the oak tree in our backyard next to those of her mother, whom she abhored, while hastily reciting the mourner's kadish. (And then later we scattered the ashes of our beloved lhaso apso, Betsy there too, but Roxy actually liked dogs....so that couldn't be it.) Perhaps she thinks I'm not divine enough to fill her diva shoes. I mean, we are talking about a woman who stipulated in her will that her jewelry could not be sold or traded in by her heirs; it could only be reset. The woman was beyond batty, so missing pictures of her beloved Chopard? Par for the Longboat Key Club Course.

No comments: